Saturday, April 5, 2014

Product Review-Logan 350-1 Compact Elite Mat Cutter

This is my first product review. I said to myself, I am trying to figure out this new equipment , I write a blog, so I might as well write about my experiences (with photos of course).

Logan 350-1 Compact Mat Cutter

The Logan Mat cutter arrived yesterday and comes in a reusable cardboard storage box. After setting it up on my dining room table, I then did the improbable. I actually watched the included DVD. The DVD was well done and explained the two ways to cut a bevel cut and a straight cut.

Squaring the Logan Mat CutterBack at the cutter I decided to check how square the guide rail was. This is explained in the paper instruction manual, by using a builder’s square. My rail was slightly off. I then checked to make sure the parallel mat guide was parallel to the guide rail which it was.

 

 

 

It comes with a bevel cutter head (push type):

Logan Bevel Head Cutter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It comes with a straight cutter head (pull type):

Logan Straight Cutter Head

With adjustable stops:

Logan Stop 1Logan Stop 2

Now it is time to give it a try. My first complaint was I could not slide a 32” piece of mat board under the hinged guide rail. The description says it can handle up to 32”. It is off by only a 1/16”. I think I will remove the two screws below, fill in the holes with some epoxy and move the hinge so it is flush with the edge of the cutting board. This should leave me enough room.

Logan Mat Cutter Hinge

I cut three mats using the “production” method which is using the stop and the parallel mat guide. All three mats came out perfect! I was very impressed. Previously, I was using a hand-held bevel cutter and many times the straight edge would slip producing a crooked cut. Overall, I would recommend this product, especially for the value. If you need to cut larger pieces I would recommend the 550-1 which can handle up to 40” sheets and has a 32” squaring arm. The 350-1 only has a 20” measuring bar with stop. Please post your comments.

Information on the mat cutter can be found on the Logan Graphics website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment