Sunday, June 30, 2013
Took the family to the other side of Rte. 10 to show them the “wooded” side of the trails. These trails connect Rte. 10, Rte. 120, Buck Rd, and Sachem Village. It is hard to believe you are a 5 minute walk from downtown Hanover.
Saturday, June 29, 2013
Here are some pictures of the Trinity Church in Cornish. It began in 1793 as the Episcopal Society and became Trinity Episcopal Church in 1795. Instrumental in its establishment was Philander Chase, son of one of the three founders of Cornish and then a student at Dartmouth College. Chase later became the first bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio, the first bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Illinois, and Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church in the United States of America. Construction of the church began in 1803 and was finished in 1808. On February 1, 1980, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Its historic graveyard is known as Trinity Cemetery. After decades of being vacant, the church was reopened in 2004 as Trinity Anglican Church.
Made the trip with the kids to visit this beautiful covered bridge. Located off Sugar River Drive and it is now part of the Sugar River Rail Trail. There is a sister bridge nearby called the Pier Bridge. This one is further from the road, so had more photo opportunities. Here is the history on the bridge: The bridge was built in 1906 by the Bridge and Building Department of the Boston and Maine Railroad. It replaced a wooden bridge built by the Sugar River Railroad in 1871 and 1872. The Sugar River line merged with the Concord and Claremont Railroad in 1873. The Concord and Claremont Railroad was especially well known for its use of the double Town/Pratt lattice truss. In 1915, there were 15 such bridges on the rail line. The bridge is named for S.K. Wright who sold the right-of-way to the Sugar River Railroad. The Wright's Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Wednesday, June 26, 2013
Sunday, June 23, 2013
We took the kids bowling this morning, partly because our daughter wanted to and it was a good thing to do on a hot day. Of course, I brought the camera. All shots with 35mm lens in full auto because of the bad lighting.